Looking for things to do in New York City for the holidays? It’s a magical time. All up and down 5th Avenue the streets are ablaze in twinkling lights. Animated characters populate the large store windows and the aroma of roasting chestnuts wafts through the crowded streets. The city puts on a special show during this time. In a town full of unique activities and attractions, here are ten ways to help you make the most of your visit to New York City for the holidays.
1. Stroll Central Park in the snow. If you can catch a first snowfall, even better. A blanket of white covers the park creating a magical “wonderland of snow.”
3. See the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. Always a holiday favorite for New Yorkers and visitors alike.
4. View the Holiday Angels and the tree at Rockefeller Center.
5. See the holiday window displays on 5th Avenue. Every year it seems the stores compete with one another to see who has the most elaborate display in New York City for the holidays.
6. Visit Lincoln Center to see George Balanchine’s ballet, Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker. A New York City tradition.
7. Stroll the holiday markets at Bryant Park, Columbus Circle, Union Square and Grand Central. Experience a New York City winter market. Do your holiday shopping for traditional as well as unique artisanal gifts.
8. Visit the New York Botanical Gardens holiday model train display. Great opportunity for a truly unique experience at the Botanical Gardens. Ideal for kids and adults alike.
9. Experience the Winter Solstice celebration at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. It is a little known fact that St. John the Divine is the largest cathedral in the world. The Winter Solstice offers music within the extraordinary acoustics of New York’s greatest Cathedral. A New York City holiday experience like no other.
10. See Santa at Macy’s and just about everywhere else in New York City during the holidays. And if you’re traveling solo to the Big Apple anytime of year, learn 10 reasons why women love traveling to NYC solo.
If you want a taste of the Big Apple, try this NYC food tour.
Have you been to New York City for the holidays? It is a unique experience and we’d love to hear about it.