After a couple of days exploring this colonial town, I narrowed down the 10 most amazing things to do in Trinidad, Cuba. Try them out and I think you’ll agree.
Trinidad, in central Cuba, is a beautifully preserved colonial town. Here are the top things to do and how to make the most of them.
1. Wake up in a local guesthouse or “casa” to the sound of roosters crowing, a tropical breakfast and the aroma of strong Cuban coffee brewing. I use Airbnb for casas in Trinidad and all over Cuba. Here is a $40 credit for you to use towards your first stay.
2. Wander the Plaza Mayor with its stunning collection of 17th-century structures and cobblestone streets.
3. This was one of my favorite things to do in Trinidad. Take salsa lessons then practice what you learned at “La Casa de la Musica” or any other one of Trinidad’s pulsating clubs and bars–including one in an underground cave that you enter through a tunnel.
4. Looking for relaxing things to do in Trinidad? Chill out at Playa Ancon beach with a local Crystal beer or a smooth Cuban rum poured into a chilled coconut…aahhh! Then rent a Hobbie Cat and snorkel to the untouched reefs – some of the most pristine in the world – or explore surrounding, uninhabited islands.
5. Enjoy fresh seafood or roast pork at local restaurants offering everything from Italian to vegetarian to classic Cuban cuisine.
6. Try a Canchanchara, a potent rum-based concoction available at the bar with the same name. The music here plays as long as the bar is open. And the bar never closes!
7. If cultural activities are the things you like to do, delve into the history of Trinidad’s colonial past in the town’s many museums.
8. Tour or hike the countryside and visit tobacco plantations, rushing waterfalls and lush, green valleys.
9. Learn about Santeria, the Afro-Cuban religion, a syncretic mix of West African religions brought from Africa to Cuba by slaves and mixed with Catholic beliefs. Visit with a local priest and witness a religious ritual.
10. Smile back at the many people who will smile at you!
Which of these fun things to do in Trinidad is your favorite?
And don’t forget my new book, The Ultimate Cuba Travel Guide, available on Amazon.